Sunny South Vet operates as a dispensing pharmacy veterinary practice. This means that we dispense prescription medications against a prescription that your veterinarian sends us.
Frequently asked questions:
What medications require prescriptions?
- all antibiotics
- implants containing an antibiotic - currently Component Implants with Tylan
- all modified live vaccinations (MLV) - such as: Bovi-shield Gold, Express, Pyramid.
- all other medications that have a Pr symbol on the label. These include hormones such as Estrumate, CIDR, Planate etc.
Can I get my veterinarian to send my prescription to another vet clinic so I can purchase my medications there?
- Yes. If you have a prescription on file at your vet's clinic, the Vet or Vet Technician can trasnfer the prescription to another clinic of your choice.
How do I know if I have a prescription on file with my vet?
- If you are currently purchasing prescription medications from your vet, that means you have a prescription on file at your vet's clinic. You can call your vet's clinic and ask them to transfer the prescription.
For Prescribing Veterinarians - what needs to be on a prescription?
- Prescribing veterinarian and certified veterinary facility, and contact information
- Client Name
- Identification of individual animal or group of animals - eg. Beef Calves, Milk Cows, Sows
- Name of drug prescribed and concentration
- Quantity of drug prescribed and any refills if applicable
- Directions for use, including dose, route, frequency, and duration - eg. 2ml SQ/animal 1x/day for 2 days
- Withdrawal time
- Substitution (yes or no) of same drug (different brand name)
- Signature of the veterinarian - on written prescriptions. Note that a prescription can be called in verbally by a veterinarian, but it must be transcribed by the dispensing clinic by a DVM or RVT. This same process would apply internally within a clinic that both prescribes and dispenses.
- Example Prescription Template
If you have more questions, please feel free to call and speak with a veterinarian at either of our locations.